By Tannis McLaren, ND and Natural Health Expert
Quinoa Chickpea Salad
This is a great salad for the summer. It’s light, refreshing, and won’t heat up the kitchen!
1 cup Quinoa
1 ½ cups Water
4 Carrots, shredded
4 stalks Celery, chopped
1 cup Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ cup Parsley, roughly chopped
1 whole Lemon, juiced
1 tbsp. Zest of lemon
2 Green onions, chopped
½ cup Almonds, toasted
Sea salt and pepper
- Place the quinoa in a large saucepan, fill with water, and stir the quinoa with your hand to clean it. Pour the water out through a fine mesh strainer. Repeat until the water is clear and there are no bubbles forming.
- Place the quinoa back into the saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low, cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 more minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the carrots, celery and chickpeas into a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, zest of lemon, parsley and green onions and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, remove lid and fluff with a fork and mix it into the large bowl of vegetables and chickpeas. Pour the dressing over the mixture and mix until thoroughly coated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes and toasted almonds.